Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, or eat-everything-you-can-get-your-hands-on, a weeknight home chef, everyday athlete, or just a busy person looking wholesome, protein-rich snacks and meals, you deserve something better than another chia seed ball or protein shake for dinner. Award-winning vegan chef Terry Hope Romero leads the charge with 100 lean, mean recipes using a wide range of readily available ingredients—from supermarket-friendly staples to cutting-edge superfoods and an arsenal of gluten- and soy-free options. With an everything-you-need-to-know rundown on plant-based protein sources, and chapters like Stealthy Protein Pancakes, Waffles, Scrambles, & Much Much More, Super Toast: Savory or Sweet, and Better than Ever Burger Bowls, you’ll soon be sneaking plant-based protein into your breakfasts, dinners, and everything in between.
Another great cookbook by Terry Hope Romero, this time it is all about sneaking in protein in vegan dishes. Protein Ninja covers it all from breakfast, snacks, lunch, brunch, dinner, and dessert. Try out her recipe for Button Up White Bean Gravy, along with my full review of this new book on the Sand and Succotash blog. Comfort food all the way.
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 6 ounces white button mushrooms, roughly chopped (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose or garbanzo bean flour
- 1 (16-ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups vegan vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, or 1 tablespoon fresh
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onion is translucent. Stir in the mushrooms, sprinkle with the tamari, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the mushrooms are tender but
- still juicy.
- Decrease the heat to low and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, or until the mixture turns slightly beige, is bubbly, and appears to have grown in volume.
- The gravy can be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered. Reheat it over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Protein Ninja: Power through Your Day with 100 Hearty Plant-Based Recipes that Pack a Protein Punch by Terry Hope Romero.
- 2016; De Capo Press.
- ISBN13: 9780738218496.
- Full color paper back, 232 pages; eBook version available.
The Cookbook Papers