The classic American treat finally gets its due: foolproof pudding recipes, from irresistible standards to inventive modern twists, by the chef and owner of New York City’s popular pudding destination.
Puddin’ shares Clio Goodman’s secrets for re-creating—and improving on—your sweetest childhood memories. From grown-up renditions of snack-time favorites like Butterscotch Pudding (spiked with whiskey) to party-ready showstoppers like Banana Upside-Down Cake with Malted Pudding and summertime crowd-pleasers like Peanut Butter Fudge Pops and Peach Melba Parfaits, Puddin’ serves up luscious and decadent recipes for your every dessert whim. Along the way, Clio offers suggestions for adapting her pudding recipes—all of which are naturally gluten-free—for vegan and low-fat variations. And because creamy pudding just begs for a companion, Puddin’ also includes recipes for homemade toppings, such as Salted Caramel Sauce, Marshmallow Crème, and Brownie Crumbs, that can be mixed and matched with the puddings of your choice or incorporated into one of Clio’s signature parfaits.
These surprisingly easy-to-execute pudding creations are destined to become staples of your dessert repertoire. Puddin’ is a celebration of an American classic.
Pudding, and nothing but pudding (including pudding cakes and pudding pops), is what you'll find in Puddin' by Clio Goodman and Adeena Sussman. It contains probably all the basic recipes you'll ever need for the creamy stuff: chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, eggnog, lemon, maple, and more.
For desserts, the others put in sweets that are pudding-related, or ones that have pudding in them: vanilla wafers for puddings, peach melba topping, 12 different pudding parfaits, and cakes and pies featuring pudding (Boston Cream Pie!).
A handy one-topic cookbook to have on the baking bookshelf, with many things related to pudding to try.
Recipe: Chocolate Pudding with 70% ChocolateThis recipe is adapted from the book, and an example of their 'basic' recipes. But while this chocolate pudding is in fact basic (just chocolate), it contains both cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate resulting in a chocolate flavor both deep and extremely satisfying.
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cream
- 3 yolks
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa), finely chopped
- Whisk the milk, cream, yolks, sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt together in a heavy saucepan set over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is warmed.
- Add in the chopped chocolate, and continue to mix and cook until the pudding has thickened. The pudding will thicken additionally upon chilling.
- Strain through a chinois, and cool at room temperature for 10 minutes before placing a layer of plastic wrap over the surface and chilling until cold, about 2 hours.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
- Puddin': Luscious and Unforgettable Puddings, Parfaits, Pudding Cakes, Pies, and Pops
- Random House Spiegel & Grau; 2013
- ISBN13: 9780812994193
The Cookbook Papers